Relativity and Gravitation
Open Directory Project: Relativity
- Categorized and annotated links. A version of this
list is at
Google, with entries sorted in "page rank" order.
The Net Advance of Physics: Gravitation
- An index of tutorial and research articles
located at the
physics preprint archive.
General Relativity Around the World
- Links to resrouces dealing with general relativity by the
NCSA Relativity Group.
Relativity on the World Wide Web
- Extensive, annotated list of links, originally by Chris Hillman,
now maintained by
Syracuse University Relativity Bookmarks
- Very long categorized but unannotated list of links.
Relativity and Black Hole Links
- Annotated list, by
Yahoo Relativity Links
- Annotated list of links.
- Categorized site directory. Entries usually include
Sites with general resources
International Numerical Relativity Group Home Page
- Home page of the NCSA Relativity Group. Many resources on
computational relativity. See especially their
Numerical Relativity Exhibitions.
Institute for Gravitational Physics & Geometry
- Penn State U. research group that works mainly on quantum
gravity and gravitational waves.
The site includes information on their research and
Cardiff University Relativity Group
- Research group which is part of the School of Physics and
Astronomy at Cardiff University (Wales). Pages describe
research interests and include links to related information.
Hyperspace General Relativity Hypertext
- From the University of British Columbia general relativity
and cosmology group. Contains a variety of resources and directories
for preprints, online journals, relativity researchers.
Analog models of General Relativity
- Hope page for a conference held in October 2000 which
dealt with physical systems that satisfy the equations of
Surveys, overviews, tutorials
- Article from
General Relativity & Black Holes
- Good explanations and external links, part of
Gene Smith's Astronomy Tutorial.
The Mystery of Gravity
- Very good introductory discussion of gravity, with frequently
asked questions, at the
Cambridge Relativity Public Home Page
- Contains a series of good tutorial pages on various aspects of
relativity and cosmology, including information on black holes
and quantum gravity.
Usenet Relativity FAQ
- Very good collection of articles and links. This version is
not up-to-date. The Relativity FAQ is now maintained as part of the
Relativity at the centenary
- January 2005 article from
Physics World, by
Clifford M. Will.
"Gravitational physics has become a truly experimental science
as tests of the special and general theories of relativity
reach new levels of precision."
General Relativity Tutorial
- Excellent technical introduction to general relativity by
Reflections on Relativity
- Hypertext/HTML book on special and general relativity at
Much of the content does not involve highly technical math.
- Popular tutorial by
Theory: Special Relativity
- Elementary overview of the special theory of relativity,
from the SLAC
Generally Speaking: A Primer on General Relativity
- Single-page explanation of the difference between special
and general relativity, from an interview of Sean Carroll.
- A tutorial by Mariusz Kovler
Lecture Notes on General Relativity
- From a course on general relativity at MIT by Sean M. Carroll.
The notes are in Postscript format. Page includes links to other
sites on general relativity.
Lecture Notes on General Relativity
- Another set of lecture notes, in Postscript format, by
Tensors and Relativity
- An online course by Peter Dunsby
Cosmic Plug Holes and Warp Drive
- Deals with both black holes and wormholes.
Differential Geometry and General Relativity
- Lecture notes by Stefan Waner. Technical mathematics.
- Excellent multimedia site created by the
National Center for Supercomputer Applications (NCSA). Provides
an overview of
black holes, gravity waves,
numerical relativity, and other topics on relativity.
The Light Cone
- Subtitled "an illuminating introduction to relativity".
Several pages introducing some of the ideas of special and general
relativity, by Roberto B. Salgado. Contains a few external links.
General Relativity and Cosmology
- Overview in outline form of some topics in general relativity,
by Jess Brewer.
Ask a High-Energy Astronomer: Relativity
- Common questions, with answers, provided by NASA's
Ask a High-Energy Astronomer service.
Gravity's Century: 1901-2001
- Slide presentation given by Stanley Deser at the
2001: A Spacetime Odyssey conference.
Relativity and FTL Travel
- Frequently asked questions about relativity and faster-than-light
travel, by Jason Hinson.
Some Scientifically Inaccurate Claims Concerning Cosmology and
- Detailed explanations of the errors of some claims to refute
some aspect of cosmology or relativity, by Chris Hillman.
- Tony Hey, Patrick Walters -- Einstein's Mirror
Cambridge University Press, 1997
- The authors provide a very elementary introduction to
some of the ideas of the special and general theories of
relativity. The emphasis is on pictures and anecdotes to
provide some historical and cultural flavor of the subject,
but all of the mathematics required for actual understanding is
- A. Zee -- An Old Man's Toy: Gravity at Work and Play in
Collier Books, 1989
- Nontechnical survey of various topics in physics as they
relate to gravity.
- Michael Friedman -- Foundations of Space-Time Theories: Relativistic
Physics and Philosophy of Science
Princeton University Press, 1983
- Provides a philosphical analysis of the conceptual foundations of
general relativity, but covers a good deal of technical physics and
Copyright © 2002-04 by Charles Daney, All Rights Reserved